What is a Contemporary or Modern rug?
Contemporary rug designs are typically characterised by sharp contrasts, bold colours and geometric or free-form elements. By and large, their look is architectural and modern. Although contemporary and modern designs can hint at the past, the look and feel of a contemporary and modern rug differ to that of a traditional style. It is a very diverse rug category and provides a great deal of variety for individuals, with rugs sometimes more like sculptures compared to their traditional counterparts.
A Contemporary and Modern rug is like a piece of modern art. They can contain bold colours, patterns or even graphics that can be completely out of the ordinary. Sometimes also containing sharp contrasts and abstract elements. They can also have an architectural approach to design, appearing free form in style or geometric in pattern. Some of the most popular abstract designs will include various colours, blended to create a smooth, flowing spectrum and this makes it easy to fit our Contemporary and Modern rugs in both modern and traditional spaces. Their colours can also be used as an inspiration for the entire colour scheme.
How do I choose a Modern or Contemporary rug?
Rugs are not just flooring! Adding a Contemporary and Modern rug can help you achieve many design objectives, such as:
- Defining your space: If you have an open concept design in your house, a rug will help define any living area, such as dining rooms, living rooms and bedrooms.
- Make the room feel bigger: The bigger the rug, the bigger the room feels. Use this design trick for rooms that appear to be narrow or cramped.
- Unify your decor: If the room doesn’t feel ‘finished’, adding a rug may be the missing link. Use a rug that fits well with your decor and design to unify the space.
- Keep the room fresh: If you like to change the design of your room regularly, a new rug is a perfect way to get a new look. Keeping your large pieces of furniture the same but adding a new rug can quickly make the old space feel new again.
Why should you consider adding a Contemporary or Modern rug?
Adding a Contemporary or Modern rug to your home is also a great way to add colour without permanently committing to particular colour schemes or if you want to vary these colour schemes in the room. If you have hardwood floors fitted throughout your property, adding a Contemporary and Modern rug also provides additional comfort and warmth underfoot.
What to consider when purchasing a Contemporary or Modern Rug?
Keep these tips in mind when you start your rug search and they can help you find the right Contemporary and Modern rug for your space:
- Find the right rug at the right size: In a living room, for example, you want a rug large enough to put at least the front legs of each piece of furniture on. The rug running under the furniture makes the rug feel much larger in size. We don’t recommend using the rug as an anchor for a piece of furniture on its own, much like a coffee table. In the bedroom, for example, a rug going under around two thirds of the bed would be advised. A smaller rug may look out of place and not fit with the room but sometimes this is just down to individual preference.
- Don’t cover a rug: Keep in mind the types of furniture you have in your home when selecting a Contemporary and Modern rug. If you have large pieces of furniture, try a rug with an all-over design that can still be seen when the furniture covers some of it up. If the rug has a unique design feature on it, consider furniture that could be moved around or used to showcase this focal point of the rug.
- Don’t be afraid to mix patterns: If your furniture uses signature prints or design elements, don’t be afraid to choose a rug with a signature design as well. A design rule to consider is to look for a rug design that is not the same or similar size to the patination on the furniture. A smaller design is useful as a backdrop while a larger design will stand out. If you have a pattern elsewhere in the room, try introducing a contrasting design feature such as colourful polka dots against more traditional floral patterns.
- Make sure you know your furniture style: Furniture is generally kept for a long period of time and adding a Contemporary and Modern rug is a great way to add new design elements without re-thinking an entire space. It is best to be sure of your furniture preferences so you can add different design elements to your room that refresh and improve on the look and feel of your space, without the risk of adding too many or clashing styles. If you are considering changing your furniture, it is best to be sure of the style you are going to change to and this helps you pick the best rug options for the space.
Rug Wear and Tear
There are a few rules that apply to virtually every rug:
- Remember to turn your rug regularly because it will not only ensure even wear, it will also deter moths. This applies to all rugs, regardless of their material.
- If you have a woollen rug, gently vacuuming your rug regularly will help remove any soiling and keep the rug fresh and free from stray fibres.
- Consider adding a semi-adhesive anti-slip underlay underneath your rug. This keeps your rug in place, preventing it and you from slipping and sliding around the room and the rug from getting unnecessarily dirty. Adding a semi-adhesive underlay can also further soften and add an additional ‘bounce’ underfoot.
- Do not pull at loose threads. If you see a loose thread on your rug, always make sure you snip it off at the root, as this will reduce the risk of unravelling.
What Modern or Contemporary rug design options do I have?
Our Contemporary and Modern rugs collection has a huge variety of colour, size and design options, from more traditional designs with contemporary two tonal colouring to bold splashes of randomised design and vibrant contrasting colours. If you don’t see what you are looking for, just get in touch with your requirements as we don’t post all of our stock online.
We can also tailor Contemporary and Modern rugs to your specific design, colour and size requirements through our Bespoke rug making service.
Choosing the right style, material and pile
As a general rule, the trick to selecting the right type of rug for your home is to complement the classic, traditional and contemporary styles of your existing spaces or the house itself.
Purchasing a rug can sometimes be overwhelming but narrowing it down to a specific category or design style (whether contemporary, classic or antique) will make it easier. The key to selecting a rug is to think about your overall design, furniture styles and decoration and to have a clear vision of the final look you want to achieve in the home or property. We are always here to advise so if you need help narrowing down your rug choice, just get in touch.
Contemporary and Modern rugs are generally woven in the below materials:
- Wool – The most popular choice for rugs. Contemporary and Modern woollen rugs offer longevity, softness and insulation. These rugs are perfect for high-traffic areas such as living rooms and dining rooms.
- Silk – Silk rugs deliver more softness and also a subtle shine that is extremely smooth to the touch. Providing finer details than a woollen rug, Contemporary and Modern silk rugs are ideally suited for bedrooms and lower traffic areas.
- Wool & Silk Blend – The longevity and durability of woollen rugs with an added degree of softness and shine of silk rugs. Suitable for both high-traffic and low-traffic areas.
Why choose London House Rugs?
We have decades of experience when it comes to sourcing, selling and weaving Contemporary and Modern rugs. We are dedicated to supplying the highest quality rugs with the most eclectic mix of designs and offer a complimentary home viewing service. This lets our clients see their selection of rugs in their homes and properties.
We offer free delivery within mainland UK and if the rug is not right, you can just return it to us for a full refund within 30 calendar days.